Conveying messages through drawings!
Draw a picture that shows me what your favorite food is. Ask your child open ended questions to help encourage critical thinking and help them to develop their critical thinking skills. This helps to support their work rather than just saying “Good Job” or “Nice Work”.
I love using these questions from Kids STEAM Lab to help encourage students’ artwork.
1. What can you tell me about your picture?
2. What materials did you use?
3. Where did you get your idea?
4. What is your favorite part of the picture?
5. What title would you give this picture?
6. If you were doing this picture again what you change or do differently?
7. Why did you use the color… (insert color)?
8. What if…. (you had used the color red instead of blue or paint instead of pencil)?
9. How did you….(make these lines, decide on these colors, or create that shape)?
10. If you had more time what would you add to your artwork? Encourage your child to elaborate on their answers or use the artwork as a starting point for telling a story.
(Source: https://kidssteamlab.com/ )