Compound Words! Last week we worked on breaking down sentences. This week we are working on breaking down words from compound words!
Compound Words-a word made up of 2 smaller words (basket-ball=BASKETBALL)
Before the game: watch the compound word video below to practice using some compound words.
Add a twist to the classic game of Memory using compound words. Introduce this and model how to play, then let your child practice.
- Make picture word cards for the compound word using its two individual words. For example, draw a picture of a tree on a square of paper, then draw a picture of a house on another square to make the compound word TREEHOUSE! Write the word at the bottom of each picture to increase reading practice.
- Do this for several compound words (see list below).
- Next, flip the cards facedown.
- Take turns flipping over 2 cards, saying/reading each one.
- Finally, if they flip over the 2 cards that go together (tree & house), they get to keep them and get a point.